Ngā tuhinga a te Kāwanatanga - Ngā Āpitihanga ki ngā Hautaka Government documents - Appendices to the Journals
This page aims to compile a bibliography of useful government documents and journal articles relating to Te Whanganui-a-Tara.
Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives
The Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives (AJHR), sometimes known as "the A to Js", are a collection of government-related reports published every year from 1858. The reports cover many subjects, documenting the work of government departments and a wide range of other actions carried out by, or of interest to, the government of the day.
|Report on the State of the Natives in Various Districts||1862||E-7|
|The return of Wi Kingi to Taranaki||1863|
|Return of the Names etc of the Tribes of the North Island and to the Secretary of State||1870||A-11|
|Report on Native reserves in the province of Wellington||1872||F-01b|
|Approximate Census of the Maori Population||1874||G-7|
|Report of Commissioner of Native Reserves - Province of Wellington||1874||G-?|
|Census of the Maori Population||1878||G-2|
Wellington Provincial Gazette
Gazettes are official publications for the purpose of notifying the actions and decisions of government. The following are gazettes to do with the government of Wellington as a province (in this form, between 1852 and 1876). You can find more information about this period below.
The 1840 Royal Charter which created the separate colony of New Zealand, named the three main islands New Ulster, New Munster and New Leinster. These names had only geographical significance until 1846, when a further Charter divided the colony into two provinces: New Ulster (north of the North Island) and New Munster (south of the North Island, along with all of the South Island and Stewart Island). The two provinces each had a governor and a legislative and executive council, which were additional to the central government. New Ulster and New Munster were abolished in 1852 and replaced with six provinces (Auckland, New Plymouth – later renamed Taranaki, Wellington, Nelson, Canterbury and Otago). Each had an elected superintendent and provincial council, responsible for local government of its region. The provinces of Hawke's Bay, Marlborough, Southland and Westland were created later. The 14 provinces of Otago and Southland reunited in 1870. Provincial government was abolished in 1876.
|Ki nga tangata o te kotinga ki Poneke (outbreak of war in Taranaki)||1860||No. 7|
|Interview between Hon. Mr Fox and Wi Tako Ngatata||1864||No. 11|
Journal of the Polynesian Society
The Polynesian Society is a non-profit organization based at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. Founded in 1892, the Society’s aim was the scholarly study of past and present New Zealand Māori and other Pacific Island peoples and cultures. It has pursued this aim primarily through the Journal of the Polynesian Society, a quarterly publication begun at the Society’s inception and enduring to the present.
|The occupation of the Chatham Islands by the Maoris in 1835||Shand, Alexander||1892||Vol. 1, p. 83, 154, 202|
|The occupation of the Chatham Islands continued||Shand, Alexander||1893||Vol. 2, p 74|
|The wars of Kai-Tahu with Kati-Toa||Te Kaahu, Taare Wetere||1901||Vol. 10, p. 89-100,|
|Te Whanga-nui-a-Tara||Best, Elsdon||1901||Vol. 10, p. 107-165|
|History and traditions of the Taranaki coast||Smith, Percy||1909||Vol. 18, p. 1-171|
|Incidents in the history of Horehore Pa, Te Takapau, Hawkes Bay District||Tuhua, Tanguru||1906||Vol. 15, p. 61-93.|
|The land of Tara series, Part I||Best, Elsdon||1917||Vol. 26, p 143|
|The land of Tara series, Parts II-V||Best, Elsdon||1918||Vol. 27, p. 1, 49, 99, 165|
|The land of Tara series, Parts VI-VIII||Best, Elsdon||1919||Vol. 28, p. 1, 79, 123|
|Hau and Wairaka : the adventures of Kupe and his relations||Best, Elsdon||1927||Vol. 36, p. 260-282|
|Rangitatau Pa||Christie, H.||1943||Vol. 52, p. 202-3|
|Supplementary data relating to the ancient Waitaha in the Horowhenua-Te Whanganui-a-Tara area||Adkin, G. Leslie||1950||Vol. 59, p. 1-34|
|Notes on the Maori sites in eastern Wellington harbour||Palmer, J. B.||1965||Vol. 65, p. 342-55|
Transactions of the New Zealand Institute
The Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand is one of New Zealand's most important research publications, particularly for science.
The Royal Society (known as the New Zealand Institute before 1933) was established in 1867 to co-ordinate and assist the activities of a number of regional research societies including the Auckland Institute, the Wellington Philosophical Society and the Otago Institute.
The Transactions contain the papers read before the member societies and the Proceedings record the business of the Royal Society and its affiliates.
|Miramar Island and its History: How Motu-kairangi was discovered and settled by Polynesians, and how, in Times long past, it became Miramar Peninsula||Best, Elsdon||1923||Vol. 54, p. 779-781|
|Notes on Miramar Peninsula, Wellington Harbour||Crawford, J. C.||1872||Vol. 5, p. 396-400|
|Life of Ngati Kahungungu chief Nuku Pewapewa||Downes, T. W.||1912||Vol. 46, p. 364-375|
|Notes on Port Nicholson and the natives in 1839||Heaphy, C.||1879||Vol. 12, p. 32|
|Further notes on Maori skeletons and relics brought to light at Karaka Bay, Wellington||McLeod, H.||1899||Vol. 32, p. 271|
|The site of Maupuia Pa, Miramar||McLeod, H.||1904||Vol. 37, p. 171|
Bulletin of the Wellington Archaeological Society
|End of the pre-history in the Wellington area||1967||Vol. 1, no. 10|
|Excavation at Makara||McFadgen, B. G.||1967||Vol. 1, no. 10|
New Zealand Archaeological Association Newsletter
Journal of Early Settlers and Historical Association of Wellington
The Early Settlers and Historical Association of Wellington was formally incorporated in June 1912 but its genesis dates back to 1890. You can find full page, searchable scans of early journal issues on our Recollect website.
|Early whale ship at Port Nicholson||Best, Elsdon||1913||Vol. 1, no. 2, p. 61|
|New Zealand Land Company's first purchase||1913||Vol. 1, no. 2, p. 58|
|Pre-Pakeha occupation of Wellington district||McLeod, H. N.||1913||Vol. 1, no. 3, p. 114|
|First settlement at Port Nicholson||Petre, H. W.||1912-1914||Vol. 1, no. 4, p. 186|
This page was put together by our Kaimahi, Ratonga Māori, Ann Reweti. If you have any feedback about this page, Ann would love to hear from you.