Pakihi - Ngā rauemi me ngā ratonga whare pukapuka Business - Library resources and services
Below is a guide to the range of services and resources available to customers with an interest in business and management
ProSearch is the professional search services of Wellington City Libraries. We have the skills and specialist resources to track down reliable, up-to-date information quickly.
Annual reports are a great way of finding out all about a particular company, e.g.-
- What projects have they completed during the past year
- Have they made a profit
- What are their intentions for the next financial year
- Who is on the board
The following are just some of the magazines held in Wellington City Libraries relevant to management and business.
General business magazines
- Business review weekly (Australian) Contains articles about business ranging from sales and accountancy to management and small business. Includes commentary and essays and technology review.
- Forbes Aimed at corporate officers and other major executives in business interested in developing management insight through review of the nation's largest corporations.
- Fortune Directed at giving top executives, and those working to reach senior positions in business, information on the economic, political and social trends that affect the environment of business.
- Harvard Business Review
Is written for upper level management. Presents analysis of management problems and helpful commentary on advanced thinking and practice in all fields of management and administration.
- Idealog Idealog is the magazine and website of New Zealand creative business, ideas and innovation.
- Management today Contains articles, research, commentary, profiles, training and book reviews on all aspects of business management. It is published in London for members of the Institute of Management.
- MIT Sloan Management Review Contains refereed articles, commentary and reviews by management academics, consultants and practitioners on what is most useful in current management theory and practice. It is written for professional managers and is peer reviewed.
- National Business Review
- NZ Business Monthly business magazine targeted at business executives, featuring articles about innovation and success.
Human resources magazines
- HR Magazine Feature articles providing insights into innovative approaches and successful programs, commentary, compensation, legislation and news of note aimed at professionals in human resource management
- Training and development A publication of the American Society for Training and Development which is committed to the development and utilization of human potential. Contains articles on training programmes, development skills and counseling and guidance.
Apart from browsing through specific magazines on a regular basis, the best way to access the vast range of New Zealand and international journals held is via subject indexes :
- Index New Zealand (INNZ) - available via our mygateway.info online databases: - indexes New Zealand magazines and newspapers for articles both of general and business interest.
- EBSCO - international databases which do include some New Zealand magazines, including New Zealand Business. This can be accessed via our mygateway.info online databases.
- ABI-INFORM - good United Kingdom focussed business database which also includes the Wall Street Journal. This can be accessed via our mygateway.info online databases.
Below is a quick guide to key Dewey (shelf) numbers, providing you with easy identification of where to look for books on business and management at our libraries
Useful Dewey numbers
|650.1's||Personal aspects of business success|
|650.14||Success in obtaining jobs, promotions (interview techniques, resumes)|
|651's||Office services (including records management)|
|652.5||Word processing (Microsoft Office, WordPerfect etc)|
|657.8||Accounting for specific businesses|
|657.98||Accounting for non-profit organizations|
|658.022||Managing a small business|
|658.041||Working from home|
|658.05's||Information technology (including EDI (Internet, intranets) see also 004's and 005's|
|658.15||Financial management (including budgeting, risk management)|
|658.4||Executive management (decision makers, best practice in management, balanced scorecard, strategic planning)|
|658.402||Teams and team building|
|658.403||Decision making and problem solving|
|658.40355||Icebreakers, business games|
|658.4038||Information management (including knowledge management)|
|658.408||Business and the environment (social responsibility, green business etc)|
|658.409's||Executives (personal aspects of executive management, including women in business, leadership, time management, stress management)|
|658.42||Top management including entrepreneurship|
|658.45||Communication (as part of management, includes negotiating and making presentations)|
|658.456-4652||Conduct of meetings (how to run successful meetings, conferences etc)|
|658.47-478||Business intelligence and security (including computer fraud and security, disaster planning and recovery)|
|658.5 - 5038||Management of production (includes just-in-time)|
|658.562||Quality control (includes benchmarking, TQM, ISO 9000)|
|658.57-575||Research and Development (including innovation, new product development)|
|658.8-658.802||Marketing (including marketing plans)|
|658.81 -658.812||Sales management and customer service|
|658.82- 658.828||Sales Promotion (includes sponsorship, brands and trademarks)|
|658.83- 658.8342||Market and consumer research|
|658.84||Direct marketing, call centres and telemarketing, internet marketing|
|658.85||Personal selling (salesmanship, cold calling etc)|
|658.87-872||Retail management and marketing (includes franchising)|
|659's||Advertising and public relations|
This page is written and maintained by library staff. Our aim is to keep you informed about the Business section of the library and to highlight parts of the collection which may interest you. Contact us with any feedback email@example.com.