Te Mematanga Kura School Membership
Wellington City Libraries welcomes all schools and teachers within Wellington City to visit and use our collections.
A special School Membership library card is available for each class within a school. This membership is specially tailored for use during class visits to the library, or for teachers to use for classroom resources. The school Principal and/or Board of Trustees must provide permission for a teacher to apply for a School Membership, and confirm that they will act as the guarantor for the card.
A teacher may use the School Membership card at any time for classroom resources. In the interest of fair use of the collection, a limit of 3 items per subject applies. The teacher must bring the card to the library each time, and items may be issued via the self-check machines. Usual borrowing fees apply (at adult rates) for any rental collection items, which must be paid for at the time of issue.
(Note for 2016: If a school/class already has an Agent's Card for use during class visits, you must swap your card over to a School Membership. Agent cards may be retained by the school and used for the purpose of accessing resources for school staff support and professional development (one card per school). Please talk to a librarian at your local library about how to swap your memberships)
Information about the School Membership
- The purpose of this library card is to provide access to the library collections through the school/teacher, for the benefit of the student. The card can either be used to issue items on the student's behalf (during a class visit to the library, for example), or for resources for classroom curriculum support.
- A 6 week loan period with ability to renew for another 6 weeks (usual renewal conditions apply), giving the card holder a potential 12 week loan period.
- Unlimited number of items can be issued, and the card can be used at all Wellington City Libraries.
- Reserves are free.
- There is a higher limit for lost books before the card is blocked from further use.
Terms and Conditions:
- Please refer to the Wellington City Libraries' Customer Charter for terms and conditions of membership and use of Wellington City Libraries, as well as your rights and responsibilities as library users.
- The card is a privilege available to all schools within Wellington City.
- Each card is issued to a specific classroom within a school.
- The Cardholder is the teacher or school staff member with assigned use of the card for their classroom.
- The Guarantor for the card is the school's Principal and/or Board of Trustees.
- A letter from the school Principal or Board of Trustees must accompany the membership form at the time of application, confirming their role as guarantor for the card(s) held within the school.
- Cards should not be used by anyone else but the cardholder or guarantor(s).
- Guarantors are responsible for ensuring correct use of the cards by cardholders, and all fees, fines and debts incurred.
- Wellington City Libraries expects all outstanding debts and accounts to be paid promptly by the guarantor on behalf of the school. If the guarantor wishes to take up the matter with the cardholder or other person, then this should be done after payment to Wellington City Libraries has been completed.
- Cardholders are responsible for issuing, renewing and returning all items.
- The library must be notified of any change of details of the cardholder and any library card lost or stolen. All items issued before such notification are the guarantor's responsibility.
- Severe or repeated breach of the Customer Charter and/or Terms and Conditions for this membership type may result in reduction or loss of borrowing privileges.
Loan Period: Library materials are issued for an initial period of 6weeks, with the option for renewing items for a further 6weeks, subject to usual renewal conditions.
Fees and Fines: usual adult borrowing fees and fines apply for this card. Rental fees must be paid at the time of issue. There are no reserve fees for this card.
Debt and Lost books: higher limits have been applied to this card to allow schools time to locate lost items. The account can have up to 5 lost items before the card is blocked from further use. Payment of debt and for lost books must be made promptly.
eLibrary: due to licensing conditions on the eLibrary collection (eBooks, downloadable audio books, and databases) this card does not supply access to these materials for a classroom environment. A personal membership card is required to access the eLibrary resources.
Renewals, Library Elf and online account: Renewing items on your card is a great way to reduce the occurrence of overdue fines or books being classed as lost. The cardholder is responsible for renewing all items issued to the card. Renewals can be completed by logging in to the library card account through the library website. Library Elf is a service available for you to set up personalised reminders for when your issued items are due to be returned, which is another great way of avoiding overdues.
Item Limits: There is no limit to the total number of items you can borrow; however, in fairness to other library users, you may only have 3 items on a single subject issued on to the card at any one time.
The School Membership is a benefit offered to schools and, at the library staff discretion, can be revoked or limitations applied due to breach of charter, terms and conditions and rules of use.
How to apply
- A letter from the school's Principal or Board of Trustees, confirming they will act as guarantors for the card(s) (suggested text) and thus take responsibility for the cards and items issued on to them, must accompany the completed library membership forms. The letter must be on the school's official letterhead stationery.
- Multiple cards can be applied for at one time; they must all be listed in the letter with the teacher (cardholder) and classroom name required for each card.
- A single membership form can be completed for all cards in a school. Please fill in the school's details in the primary name and address fields, and the principal or BOT details in the secondary contact fields.
- The letter and membership form are to be handed to a librarian, who will create the library card(s).
- Each School Membership card expires at the end of the school year. All accounts must be settled and the card cleared (items returned and debts paid) at the end of the school year.
- At the start of each school year the Guarantor must reconfirm with the library who the cardholder for each School Membership card will be for the school year in order for the card to be reactivated. The card must be clear of all outstanding debt and issued items from the previous school year.
How to issue library materials
- The card must be bought to the library in order to issue items.
- Self-check machines are available at libraries to issue library items on to the card. Please follow the on-screen instructions. You may issue items at the library counter at those libraries without self-check machines.
- In the interests of efficiency, all items to be issued onto the School Membership card must be completed in one transaction within a single visit.
- Ensure the issue receipt is taken and retained as a record of the items issued and due dates.
- You can log into your library card account anytime via the Wellington City Libraries website to check your account status.
- Library Elf can be used to help you keep track of your due dates and to set up reminders. Please ask library staff for assistance in setting up your Library Elf account if needed.
Lost and overdue items
You can avoid items becoming overdue or lost by renewing them before the due date. Each item can be renewed once. Usual renewal conditions apply. Overdue fines must be paid promptly. This can be done by:
- in person at any library;
- direct deposit (WCC bank a/c 06 0582 0106111 00. Please put your name in the particulars field, your library card number in the code field and Library in the reference field. Please confirm by email to email@example.com);
- or by credit card (phone 04 801 4055 between 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday).
You will be sent an invoice for any lost books. The guarantor for the card is responsible for payment of this account.
Refunds are available if the item is located within 6 months of payment. If you find a lost book that has been paid for, please hand it in to a librarian. Excessive lost books or overdue fines will block further use of the library card and may also result in a reduction or loss of use of the School Membership. Failure to pay may result in your account being referred to debt collection agencies.
Wellington City Libraries recommends the cardholder ensures the School Membership card is checked and cleared at the end of each term.
Class visits to the library
There are 3 options available for issuing library materials during class visits:
Option A: Use of School Membership card only
All items children wish to borrow from the library during a class visit must be issued on to the School Membership card. No use of children's personal cards is allowed. All items issued on to the School Membership card are the responsibility of the school and must stay within the classroom or school.
Option B: Use of School Membership card and children's personal cards
Library items will be issued on to the child's library card, for those children whose parents/guardians are aware of the child's visit to the library and give permission for library materials to be issued. It is the school's responsibility to make the parents/guardians aware that the child will be visiting the public library and that any items issued on to the child's library card are responsibility of the parent/guardian. The child must bring their card to the library for the class visit. If the library card is not present, the librarian will not issue onto the child's card. The presence of the child's library card will be taken as consent from the parent/guardian to issue on to the card.
For those children without a library membership, permission from the parent/guardian to use their library card, or with blocked library cards, the School Membership card may be used.
All items issued on to a child's library card are the responsibility of the parent/guardian and must go home with the child with the issue receipt. Usual borrowing rules for personal cards apply. It is recommended that valuable or fragile collection items (DVDs, for example) are not issued to children's personal cards during a class visit. All items issued on to the School Membership card are the responsibility of the school and must stay within the classroom or school.
Option C: Use of children's personal library cards only
If the school does not wish to have a School Membership, or use it for a class visit, there is an option to only issue library materials on to children's personal library cards.
Parents/guardians must be made aware by the school (suggested text) that the child will be visiting the public library and that any items issued on to the child's library card are their responsibility. The child must bring their card to the library for the class visit. If the library card is not present, library staff will not issue onto the child's card. The presence of the child's library card will be taken as consent from the parent/guardian to issue on to the card.
Usual borrowing rules for personal cards apply.
All items issued on to a child's library card are the responsibility of the parent/guardian and must go home with the child with the issue receipt. It is recommended that valuable collection items (DVDs, for example) are not issued to children during a class visit.
Which option is right for you? Please discuss your school's situation and the best option for you with your local library staff. Membership packs can be organised for your school if a number of your students do not have a Wellington City Libraries membership.
Please contact your local library in the first instance, who will forward your query onto other staff members as appropriate.
You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org